O. is the home of one of the two original English universities. Teaching was taking place from the 12th cent. in schools around St. Mary's Church. The first unambiguous reference to the university dates from 1184, and in 1214 its privileges were codified by a papal charta. Those privileges were extended in 1355 after violent confrontations with the urban population [2.65–70]. In the 16th cent., the individual colleges became largely independent entities that decided on their own teaching programmes and (from 1565) admitted their own students. A…
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kullmann, Thomas (Osnabrück),
Brill’s New Pauly Supplements II - Volume 8 : The Reception of Antiquity in Renaissance Humanism
, English edition by Chad M. Schroeder (2017). Original German-language edition: Renaissance-Humanismus. Herausgegeben von Manfred Landfester. Serie: Der Neue Pauly Supplemente 2. Staffel, herausgegeben von Manfred Landfester und Helmuth Schneider, vol. 9. Stuttgart, Germany. Copyright © J.B. Metzlersche Verlagsbuchhandlung und Carl Ernst Poeschel Verlag GmbH (2014).
Consulted online on 07 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2468-3418_bnps8_SIM_004928>
First published online: 2015