Introduction (intro_III_XI)
(3,043 words)

The thirteen codices of the Nag Hammadi library were discovered in December, 1945, opposite the town of Nag Hammadi, at the base of the sheer cliffs that are set back from the right bank of the Nile.1 Evidence from the cartonnage used in the leather covers suggests that the volumes were bound sometime in the last half of the fourth century A.D. and subsequently hidden.

This volume contains NHC V,2-5, VI,1-8, and BG,1 and 4. NHC V, 1 (Eugnostos) is omitted because it will appear in another volume in this series in synopsis with NHC III,3 (Eugnostos), 4 (Soph. Jes. Chr.) and BG,3 (Soph. Jes. Chr.). B…

Cite this page
“Introduction (intro_III_XI)”, in: The Coptic Gnostic Library — A Complete Edition of the Nag Hammadi Codices, Editor in Chief: James M. Robinson. Consulted online on 28 July 2017 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/9789004228900_cgl_aintro_III_XI>
First published online: 2012



▲   Back to top   ▲