Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access

al-Wāḥ
(276 words)

(pl. al-Wāḥāt), the name of a group of oases to the west of Egypt. There are three of them: the first is opposite the Faiyūm and reaches to the level of Aswān; it is the largest of the oases and contains several villages; its palms give the best dates in Egypt. The second is smaller and less populous. The third is the smallest and contains a village named Santaria. This is the information given by Yāḳūt. Maḳrīzī makes four oases which he calls outer and inner; in his time Santaria was a little town of about 600 inhabitants of Berber stock called Sīwa who spoke a dialect resem…

Cite this page
Huart, Cl., “al-Wāḥ”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 29 May 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_5935>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲