Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access
Search Results: | 14 of 117 |

Sarak̲h̲s
(295 words)

, an old town between Mas̲h̲had and Marw, where the frontier between modern Persia and Russia turns from E. to S., on the lower course of the Harirūd, which is at this part filled with water for part of the year only and then disappears in the oasis of Tad̲j̲ān north of Sarak̲h̲s. Between the town and Marw lies a part of the desert of Karaḳūm [q. v.] which belongs to the area of the Teke-Turkomans. The Arab-Persian geographers ascribe the foundation of the town to Kai-Kāwūs, Afrāsiyāb or Ḏh̲u ’l…

Cite this page
Ruska, J., “Sarak̲h̲s”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 13 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_5177>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲