Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access

Wādī Ḥalfa
(439 words)

or simply Ḥalfa, a modern town in the Anglo-Egyptian Sūdān, 21° 55′ N. 31° 19′ E., on the right bank of the Nile, c. 770 miles south of Cairo and 5 miles north of the Second Cataract, is the chief town of the province or mudīrīya of that name. It includes the village of Tawfīḳīya, a new suburb with fine bazaars, and its inhabitants, inclusive of the Nubian villagers of Dabarōsa, number almost 3,000. Besides the Muslim places of worship there are the churches of the Copts, Greeks and English. The Government offices and hospital, and the off…

Cite this page
Walker, J., “Wādī Ḥalfa”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 27 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_5927>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲