Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 46 of 56 |

Aḳ Ḥiṣār
(568 words)

(T. "white castle"), name of several towns.

1. The best known is Aḳ Ḥiṣār in Western Anatolia, formerly in the wilāyet of Aydi̊n, since 1921 in that of Manisa, situated in a plain near the left bank of the river Gördük (a sub-tributary of the Gediz), 115 m. above sea level. Known as Thyatira (see Pauly-Wissowa, s.v.) in antiquity and Byzantine times, it owes its Turkish name to the fortress on a neighbouring hill. Annexed by the Ottomans in 784/1382, it was lost again during the disorders which followed Tīmūr’s invasion, and recaptured from the rebel Ḏj̲unavd [q.v.] by Ḵh̲alīl Yak̲h̲s̲h̲ī B…

Cite this page
Süssheim, K. and Babinger, Fr., “Aḳ Ḥiṣār”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 19 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_COM_0030>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲