Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 3 of 245 |

Sūḳ al-S̲h̲uyūk̲h̲
(530 words)

, a small town in southern ʿIrāḳ, on the right bank of the Euphrates (lat. 30° 53′ N., long. 46° 28′ E.). It lies some 40 km/25 miles to the south-east of al-Nāṣiriyya [q.v.] and at the western end of the K̲h̲awr al-Ḥammār lake and marshlands region, about 160 km/100 miles as the crow flies from Baṣra. The town is surrounded by date-groves extending along the river bank, but the marshy country, that extends into Baṣra, makes the air very unhealthy.

Sūḳ al-S̲h̲uyūk̲h̲ was founded in the first half of the 18th century as a market-place (sūḳ) of the confederation of the Muntafiḳ [q.v.] Arabs; 4 hour…

Cite this page
Kramers, J.H., “Sūḳ al-S̲h̲uyūk̲h̲”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 27 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_7139>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲