Brill Online Reference Works and Brill Online Bibliographies (http://referenceworks.brillonline.com and http://bibliographies.brillonline.com) were launched in 2012 and are part of Brill's online resources at Brillonline.com.
Through your institution
The content on this platform is not freely accessible. Most visitors may have access to this platform via a library subscription or purchase of their research institution. In most cases an institutional logo will then be shown on each page. Green rectangles before titles indicate full text access, white rectangles indicate no access, in which case only a small part of the content is shown.
It is possible to purchase short term access to the whole platform. Click on the green 'Purchase Access' button or click on the shopping cart on the right top of each page. You may purchase access for 1, 7 or 30 days. Brill has chosen Paypal to handle transactions. This van be done using a Paypal account or by credit card. Access is given on entering a username and password and is strictly personal.After completing a purchase you will receive an e-mail with your access details from Brill directly. The transaction details will be mailed to you by Paypal. Please note that purchases are non-refundable. See Brill's terms and conditions for more information.
Through your individual account
with a personal account can access their own list of subscriptions:
1 click Sign Out to log out of the institutional account
2 click Yes when prompted "Are you sure you want to sign out?"
2 enter username and password
3 click the Sign In button (NB: the user should NOT hit the enter key, because that will start the IP recognition system, and give access to the institutional account subscriptions).
Search Site Contents
To search through the full site contents – click here. This will give a complete listing of all entries on Referenceworks.brillonline.com. By entering your search keyword(s) in the search box – at the top of the listing – you will search through the full site contents. To narrow your search results use the filters on the left side.
To search through the full site contents – click here. This will give a complete listing of all entries on Bibliographies.brillonline.com. By entering your search keyword(s) in the search box – at the top of the listing – you will search through the full site contents. To narrow your search results use the filters on the left side.
See Search Tips for information on searching the platform.
Many of the texts included in BrillOnline include special characters, such as accented letters and non Roman writing systems, which can sometimes appear incorrectly in your browser.This can be resolved by ensuring that you have a font installed on your computer that includes all of the special characters.
The recommended font is called the Brill. It will be downloaded automatically during the browser session.
A special note for users that browse or search Jacoby titles, the Coptic Gnostic Library and Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics. Some articles contain texts in Syriac, Coptic or Hebrew characters.
- For Syriac, Brill advises the Unicode font, kindly supplied by Mr. Kiraz, available at http://www.bethmardutho.org/meltho.
- The Coptic Gnostic Library requires installing a Unicode Coptic font. We highly recommend the Unicode font Antinoou.
- The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics requires installing a Unicode Hebrew font. The Unicode font SBL Hebrew is automatically installed during the browser session.
- An additional font is necessary for Brill's New Pauly and Der Neue Pauly: Brillonline: Brillonline Roman and Brillonline Italic.
The Transliteration Table shows how Arab characters are transliterated into Latin script.
On computers with Microsoft Windows, the internet browsers Internet Explorer 9.0 and Firefox 10 will display all characters as intended. Chrome browsers will occasionally show blocks.
Manage account details
Go to Brill Subscriber Services [subs.brillonline.nl]. Login with your administrator username and password. (Contact email@example.com for more information). Brill Subscriber Services enables you to:
- Manage your subscriptions
- Manage access details
- OpenURL preferences
- Maintain Shibboleth and Athens data
- Upload an institutional logo
- Create and download usage reports. Brill Online Reference Works is COUNTER compliant and offers COUNTER statistics.
Brill has MARC21 records available for the Brill’s Online Reference Works and Brill’s Online Bibliographies. Each record contains a link to the electronic version of the corresponding title. This link is recorded in the 856-field using registered DOI's (for more information see http://www.doi.org/).
When new content is uploaded, the corresponding MARC21 files will be updated accordingly.
- Click here to go directly to complete MARC record download for Brill’s Online Reference Works.
- Click here to go directly to complete MARC record download for Brill’s Online Bibliographies.
The following guidelines were used wherever possible:
Equality & Human Rights Commission Website accessibility guidance (PAS78): http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/footer/accessibility-statement/
Principles of graceful degradation will be applied where user experience can be improved with non-compliant techniques. This will ensure that accessible alternatives are available for all core functionality.
- XHTML: Extensible HyperText Markup Language
- CSS: Cascading Style Sheets
- Microformats – where appropriate the following microformats may be used:
- rel-tag for keywords.
- hCard for people and organizations
- xFolk for bookmarks/reading lists.
- Atom for feeds/syndication