Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 4 of 26 |

Beth Shearim
(159 words)

[German version]

Place in Lower Galilee. With the relocation of the patriarch Jehuda ha-Nasi (from c. AD 175-217) B., as seat of the Sanhedrin and the rabbinic school, became for a short while the centre of Palestinian Judaism but gradually declined in importance after the transfer to Tiberias of the patriarchate and its institutions around the middle of the 3rd cent. In the succession to Rabbi Jehuda B. developed into the most important burial site in Palestine in the 3rd and 4th cents., as attested by the sp…

Cite this page
Pahlitzsch, Johannes (Berlin), “Beth Shearim”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 12 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e216040>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲