Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 8 of 26 |

Gophna
(92 words)

[German version]

Town c. 22 km north of Jerusalem on the Roman trade route to Neapolis, the modern Arabic Ǧifnā. At the time of  Herod, G. was the chief town of one of the eleven Jewish toparchies. In 44 BC,  Cassius sold the inhabitants of G. into slavery because they were not able to raise the tribute demanded. Mark Antony rescinded this measure shortly thereafter. Vespasian conquered the city in AD 69 during the course of the First Jewish War.

Bibliography

M. Avi-Yonah, E. Orni, s.v. Gofnah, Encyclopaedia Judaica 7, 691.

Cite this page
Pahlitzsch, Johannes (Berlin), “Gophna”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 15 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e426200>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲