Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 5 of 9 |

Laranda
(98 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

| Diadochi and Epigoni

(Λάρανδα; Láranda). Hellenistic city in southern Lycaonia, modern Karaman, became part of Galatia in 25 BC and under Antoninus Pius belonged to the treís eparchíai. Member of the koinón Lykaonías with the honorary title of (Sebastḗ) Mētrópolis (coins) [1. 25-32, 43f.]. Under Diocletianus annexed to the province of Isauria, around 370 to Lycaonia. Bishops known from the 3rd cent., from about 370 suffragan of Iconium [2. 197f.].

Bibliography

1 H. v. Aulock, Mz. und Städte Lykaon…

Cite this page
Belke, Klaus (Vienna), “Laranda”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e631400>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲