Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access
Search Results: | 35 of 245 |

Ḳūṣ
(498 words)

, a town in Upper Egypt on the east bank of the Nile. The form Ḳūṣ (Ḳūs in al-Farg̲h̲ānī and Ibn Rusta) comes from the Coptic Kōs (or Kōs Berbir) which a popular etymology later connected with the Coptic verb meaning “to bury”. In the Roman period the town was called Apollinopolis Parva and sometimes Diocletianopolis. In the early centuries of Islām, Ḳūṣ seems to have been of much less importance than the adjoining town of Ḳifṭ [q.v.]. Some of the early geographers like Ibn Ḵh̲urdād̲h̲bih do not mention it although it is found in the tables of al-Ḵh̲wārizmī (ed. by von Mžik, p. 9) and al-Fa…

Cite this page
Kramers, J. H., “Ḳūṣ”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 15 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_4345>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲